Director of Industrial Design
THE METHOD STORY
method sold its first product on February 28th, 2001 - we mark this as the day we became people against dirty®. But why did two twenty-something guys start a cleaning product company? Well, we're not exactly big fans of cleaning, but we are passionate about cleaning up a dirty business. We recognized that household cleaning, which includes laundry and hand wash, was a massive category in desperate need of a little disruption.
We also had questions. Why do we pollute when we clean? Why do we use poison to make our homes healthier? And why do cleaners have to be so ugly that you hide them away or smell so bad that you hold your breath? The answer: we can do better.
Leveraging two major cultural shifts in health + wellness and lifestyling of the home, we disrupted every aspect of the category and grew method into a green cleaning leader. Along the way, we hit #7 on the Inc. 500 list, were named the #16th most innovative company in the world by Fast Company in 2008 and became PETA persons of the year for developing the first vegan laundry products.
method products can be found in Target, Lowe's, Safeway, Whole Foods and most grocers nationwide, along with growing distribution in the UK, France, China, Japan and Australia. And the party is only getting started.
In 2012, we merged with Belgian green cleaning giant Ecover, and together became the world's largest green cleaning company. Our two brands are committed to inspiring generations of happy, healthy homes by making non-toxic products that work - for you and the planet.
That's why our work environment is creative, brand-savvy, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, solutions-focused, irreverent but disciplined, team-oriented and fun. Piqued your curiosity? Keep reading.
The Director of Industrial Design is responsible for concept creation, industrial design and development for all business pods (hand, laundry and cleaning) at method.
This role will work closely with the each of the General Managers of the pods to ensure a robust and innovative product pipeline; as well as liaise with Packaging Engineers, NPD, Greenskeeping, Legal, Marketing, Quality and Ops to ensure the highest level of design quality and consumer experience.
The goal of this position is to provide design and innovation leadership for the North American business and International markets, as needed. By providing beautiful design and keen thinking, the Director of Industrial Design holds a unique position at method as a trusted strategic resource.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Industrial Design - direct the Industrial Design process within method
- Help create and drive product strategy
- Uncover and instill consumer insight as it relates to product
- Concept creation and consensus building
- Design evaluation and selection
- Refinement, design specification and handover
Innovation - pursue and catalyze innovation and innovative thinking within method
- Scout for new ideas and possibilities
- Meet and discuss new ideas with vendors, pod teams, and functional groups
- Work cross functionally to influence product strategy within method to deliver on our corporate obsessions
- Be an active promoter of and participant in method's unique culture as it relates to design thinking, collaboration and transparency
- Work reception once a month* (we are not joking. at method, everyone in San Francisco takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.)
use art to drive commerce.
method stands for design, healthy chemistry and fun, but it also stands for innovation, surprise and curiosity.
Candidates for this position are likely to be degree-qualified in more than one discipline, for example; Design and Marketing, Design and Engineering. They will have 8-12 years professional design experience (hopefully in CPG or lifestyle brands), and are comfortable working in highly motivated, energetic environments. They will be just as happy discussing product strategy with the founders (whilst wearing a costume) as they will be discussing parison programming with the engineers.
The successful candidate will have experience with 3D CAD programs such as solidworks, rapid prototyping and all the usual suspects from Adobe and Microsoft, but these will just be tools they use to channel their awesome creativity.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- 8-12 years of industrial design experience, with at least 5 years of experience directing design projects at a consumer packaged goods company or design firm
- An extraordinary eye for detail and aesthetics that is evident in their work
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams, both technical and creative
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to influence within an organization
- Ability to stay cool and calm under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to stay focused on the "big picture"
- Proficient in SolidWorks or similar 3D package
|Posted:||Feb 6, 2013|